Can Shroom Spores Harm You?

Many people turn their backs when it comes to mushroom spores. Controversy always goes along with their continuous popularity. Can shroom spores harm you? This is just one of the commonly asked questions about them. 

Can Shroom Spores Harm You? Important Precautions to be Taken

On their own, the spores of shrooms are not almost as problematic as the shrooms themselves. However, when you have spores and use them in creating psychedelic shrooms, it can lead to trouble. This is true, especially when using them in making psychedelic mushrooms. The spores don’t contain psilocybin, but your health is in danger if you spend hours around the mushrooms and inhale them whether purposefully or accidentally. 

Shroom spores could cause many side effects, so it is a must for everyone to learn and understand them. Keep in mind that shroom spores come with the potential to trigger ill health. Farmers who keep themselves unprotected whenever they encounter too many unknown mushrooms in the woods are more susceptible to possible risks and side effects associated with the fungi. 

However, don’t be scared of the magic mushrooms. For as long as you know how to take good care of yourself while dealing with them, your chances of catching hypersensitivity pneumonitis will be minimal. 

In case you cannot avoid the exposure to massive quantities of shrooms as you might be growing them, just remember the following as necessary precautions:

  • Put on a well-fitting full or half-face mask.
  • If you’re working in an indoor facility, be sure the area is well-ventilated.
  • If possible, take the mushrooms outdoors before working with them. 

You don’t need to be afraid of mushroom spores as they exist everywhere. Onetime exposure to a small number of mushrooms will not trigger any health issue. Foraging in the woods does not make you prone to hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Instead, it happens when you work regularly around them indoors. That is when taking precautions becomes very important. 

Mushroom Spores

A shroom is a kind of fungus, not a plant. It doesn’t the greenish substance that aids the plant in producing energy through the process of photosynthesis called chlorophyll. Instead, the mushrooms use the fibers known as hyphae that can hibernate underground for a long time to absorb food. 

When the growing period for mushrooms comes in, hyphae will mature and spore reproduction will start. The spores are small cells that contain everything required for the production of another fungus. The lightweight spores go over the air in relocating and reproducing. It is where a person can accidentally inhale them. 

The shroom spores are extremely small that you will be able to see it clearly through a microscope. On mature mushrooms, hundreds of spores or even thousands will thrive in one gill and on a tiny mushroom. A mature shroom can have as much as 16 billion spores, giving the growers more opportunities in propagating and growing mushrooms. 

To see a group of shroom spores and their color, you need to create a spore print. The colors of spores may range from white to black. When the mushrooms have stems that are fresh and soft like the bolete, then the spores would be within the pores under the cap. The spore deposit will give you an idea about the shape and size of the pores. 

When the mushrooms are hard, getting spore prints from the polypores that grow on logs and trees can be extremely difficult. Besides, polypores sometimes take more time to grow and generate spores. Likewise, the mushrooms can exist for a long time aft they produced and distributed the spores. 

You may wrap them in moist newspapers or paper towels throughout the night before you put them on glass, paper, or foil for making your spore print. The spore-bearing surface must face downwards to the ground while the polypores grow. 

Consequences of Leaving Yourself Unprotected Against Mushroom Spores

Chronic exposures to mushroom spores are more dangerous than one can imagine. if you always deal with the spores without any protection, you run the risk of getting an asthma attack, rhinitis, bronchopulmonary mycoses, hypersensitivity pneumonitis, and allergic fungal sinusitis. 

Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis

The mushroom worker’s lung, farmer’s lung, or mushroom picker’s lung, also called hypersensitivity pneumonitis, is the leading inflammatory disease caused by leaving yourself exposed to mushroom spores without any sort of protection. 

Chronic shroom spore exposure can result in lung inflammation or acute lung diseases. In the long run, the acute condition will turn into chronic lung disease. The hypersensitivity pneumonitis is a usual kind of lung inflammation related to shroom spore exposure. 

The signs of acute hypersensitivity pneumonitis usually appear in the next 4 to 6 hours after leaving the facility where you got exposed to mushroom spores. The symptoms are:

  • Fever and chills
  • Shortness of breath
  • Cough
  • Poor appetite
  • Sudden and unexplainable weight loss

Asthma Attacks

Leaving yourself unprotected to mushroom spores in high concentrations will make you more susceptible to asthma attacks. On the other hand, many people aren’t affected except when they are sensitive to a specific fungus. Exposure to indoor mushroom spores and dampness can cause young kids to develop asthma. 

Treatment Choices

Get in touch with your doctor just in case you feel you have any signs of hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Treatment will normally involve avoiding persistent exposure to mushroom spores. In case you developed chronic hypersensitivity pneumonitis, the doctor may prescribe anti-inflammatory drugs like glucocorticoids. 

The medicines for asthma can also help in treating hypersensitivity pneumonitis. Your doctor may also require you to undergo lung biopsy to analyze, detect, and confirm the condition and its severity.


Can shroom spores harm you? They don’t cause any issue on their own, but you will be in trouble if you often deal with them without any protection. The problem begins when you inhale the spores by accident. Inhaling them is more likely to happen if you’re working on huge numbers of mushrooms in an indoor facility. Don’t forget to protect yourself. Wear a mask and work on the shrooms outdoors.

Leave a Reply