Can You Overdose on Magic Mushrooms

If you have just recently encountered magic mushrooms and its wonderful effects, you might find yourself asking, can you overdose on mushrooms? One of the famous mushrooms that is known to give psychedelic effects is the Psilocybin mushroom. This is known to be a potent fungus that can help lift your mood, cause giddiness and even induce hallucinations.

Some users have also reported spiritual transcendent experiences and some researchers are exploring the potential therapeutic qualities of this mushroom. But some of the concerns with mushrooms is that is safe to consume or can it potentially bring overdosage just like any other drug. We’ll help you learn more on the effects of the brain and body when you take these psychedelic mushrooms. 

The Toxicity of Psilocybin Mushroom

can you overdose on magic mushrooms

Just like any other psychoactive substances available, the psilocybin mushrooms have the limit to the amount a user can safely ingest. In order to measure this, scientists and medical practitioners check the toxicity level or the damage it does to your body. 

Substances that have undergone this process are known to be highly toxic will require smaller amounts to do significant damage. Psilocybin mushrooms have very low toxicity and will require very large amounts to be dangerous and fatal.

However, other psychedelics such as LSD (Lysergic Acid Diethylamide) and DMT (N-Dimethyltryptamine) don’t have a known level of toxicity and there have no reported death cases because of toxic interactions with these substances.

A substance’s toxicity is well measured in a median lethal dose, this refers to the size of the dose that would kill 50% of a given population. Toxicities are normally studied with the help of rats or mice. The toxicity potential of psilocybin mushrooms was tested in rabbits and it showed to have a median lethal dose of about 12 milligrams per kilogram.

The researchers have estimated that it might take about 280 milligrams per kilogram to be potentially lethal to a human being. This would mean that the average person will have to ingest about 6 grams of mushroom for it to be considered deadly. That’s about 1000 times the effective dose. 

A single mushroom only contains psilocybin that is equal to 1 percent of its total weight. It has been estimated that a user will have to consume 3 pounds of the dried mushroom for it to be totally toxic. 

Can you Overdose on Mushrooms?

The answer to the undying question that sparks the curiosity of can you overdose on mushrooms is Yes. Yes, there’s a possibility for an overdose if you take large amounts of the psychedelic mushrooms in just one sitting. But an overdose on psilocybin that might cause dangerous physical consequences is very unlikely. However, it is possible that a large dose can produce unpleasant and damaging psychological consequences.

The magic mushrooms have a huge impact on the body and mind with a range of effects that can be both negative or positive. It is also considered normal for the user to feel slight nausea or discomfort as psilocybin begins to work with the body.

It’s highly advisable to take the necessary precautions when you take them and to always check your dosage, wait between 1-2 hours to see what the effects are like before you take more. 

When you take large doses, you should expect to experience unpleasant effects from waves of nausea to feelings of panic or paranoia but you can also experience positive effects such as euphoria and creative energy. 

If you believe that you have taken too much or if you’re already experiencing a bad trip, the best thing that you can do is to try to relax. Experiencing a bad trip with magic mushrooms can be generally fixed without medical intervention. The bad feeling can also be countered-balanced when you take anti-anxiety medications although not necessary.

Psychological effects can be extreme when a user takes large quantities, but the actual risk of overdosing on magic mushrooms is extraordinarily low. 

The Psychological Consequences of Psilocybin Mushrooms

In some reported cases, the psychological effects of psilocybin mushrooms can bring severe side effects that include violent behavior, suicidal thoughts, psychosis, and convulsions. These side effects are rare and there are 3 reasons why you might experience these unpleasant symptoms:

  • The instance that you took a high dose that you were not psychologically unprepared for.
  • The instance that you took the mushroom in a loud, disruptive setting.
  • The mushrooms were given to you without your knowledge and their potent psychoactive effects came at a surprise.

However, the effects of psychedelic drugs such as the psilocybin are largely subjective and can widely differ from one person to another. These effects play on the person’s thoughts, perceptions, and state of consciousness. 

The effects of these mushrooms can also be changed by internal or external circumstances. If you have been using the mushroom for quite a long time, you might be aware of the “set and setting” may classify a person’s experience with the drug. Set refers to the mindset, thoughts, and feelings a person has while going into mushroom use. 

If a person is extremely anxious, angry, frustrated or even depressed may experience an overall negative circumstance when they use psilocybin. While a person who is calm and relaxed is said to have a generally positive experience.

The “setting” refers to the environment a user is in when he or she takes the psilocybin mushroom. If you take the drug in a quiet room with one person may give you a different experience compared to someone in a loud, disruptive area. 

Most experienced users of the psilocybin mushrooms will recommend using it in a quiet and dark setting but some will also prefer using this while in party-like settings. If a person takes this under disruptive sights and sounds, it may cause unpleasant psychological effects such as panic.

More than the set and settings researchers have also reported the importance of intention when using this psilocybin mushroom. These intentions are said to bring subjective effects that a user might encounter. 

Those who use mushrooms as a recreational drug might experience giddiness or increased empathy. While those who use mushroom for enlightenment may become more introspective. And those who take this substance unknowingly may become frightened by its effects and might experience more disturbing adverse reactions. 

While a 2009 study about the potential therapeutic effects of the mushrooms has found that several users reported mild perceptual disorders, this is the impaired ability to discern the nature of objects with the senses. It has also shown that mushrooms are known to produce psychosis symptoms that are similar to schizophrenia, like an impaired ability to distinguish reality from imagined objects or circumstances.

However, in most users, the psychotic symptoms are only temporary but these effects can be more dangerous in people known to have mental health issues or those with issues regarding schizophrenia. Psychedelic drugs can be extremely triggering for people with schizophrenia and other psychotic disorders. 

This Post Has One Comment

  1. “This would mean that the average person will have to ingest about 6 grams of mushroom for it to be considered deadly.” This doesn’t seem right. I’ve taken several doses well over this, in groups of people doing the same.

Leave a Reply