Magic mushrooms or Psilocybin mushroom is considered as a Schedule I drug because of its psychedelic properties. Compounds considered as a Schedule I drug are compounds which has a high potential for misuse and are deemed to be addictive. It is one of the most well-known psychedelics around the world. As the name implies, this mushroom contains psilocybin. Psilocybin is a compound which has psychoactive and hallucinogenic properties.
These magic mushrooms can be found almost everywhere as long as you know what you are looking for. They are also called psychedelic mushrooms, shrooms, booms, and mush. Looking for these mushrooms can be challenging because there are a thousand different kinds of mushrooms in the wild. Some are very toxic that they can cause death while some can cause stomach problems. It would be better to leave the foraging to mushroom experts to be on the safe side. Even those who have been gathering mushrooms for years still makes mistakes and these mistakes may have deadly consequences.
Some of the deadliest mushrooms are as follows:
1. Deadly Dapperling
This mushroom contains amatoxins and can be found in Europe and certain parts of Asia. Consuming this can cause liver failure.
2. Podostroma Cornu-damage
This mushroom contains trichothecene mycotoxins and found mostly in Asia. Consuming this can cause stomach ache, kidney failure, and even death.
3. Destroying Angels
This mushroom can be found in North America. If consumed, this can cause vomiting, convulsions, liver failure, kidney failure, and even death.
4. Autumn Skullcap
This mushroom can be found in Australia and contains amatoxins. This mushroom is often mistaken as a magic mushroom or Psilocybe mushroom. If consumed, it can cause diarrhea, hypothermia, nausea, liver damage and even death.
This mushroom contains orellanin, a poisonous substance. Once consumed, it can cause liver and kidney failure.
Now that you know or at least have an idea of what magic mushrooms are found in your area, it is time to discuss how to store them to ensure to keep magic mushroom fresh for the longest time possible. Here are different ways on how to store them.
5 Ways to Keep Magic Mushroom Fresh
1. Put them inside the refrigerator
Place the magic mushrooms first on an unbleached kitchen paper so that the excess moisture from the fridge does not damage the mushroom. Adjust the temperature to 2 to 4 degrees Celsius. Storing it this way would make it last for a month.
2. Dry magic mushrooms before storing
This process can make your dried magic mushrooms last for 2 to 3 years. Avoid subjecting the mushroom to direct heat.
How to Pre-Dry Magic Mushrooms:
1st Step: In front of a fan, Place the fresh magic mushrooms on a tray.
2nd Step: Turn on the fan. If you are living in a tropical country with the temperature playing around 30 degrees Celsius, the magic mushroom should already be dry after a few hours.
3rd Step: Confirm if the magic mushroom has been pre-dried already by checking on the texture and appearance.
How to Dry Magic Mushrooms:
- 1st Step: In a clean container, place two layers of aluminum insect screen.
- 2nd Step: Put one sweet stacker in each corner of the container
- 3rd Step: Add another layer of aluminum screen
- 4th Step: Apply silica gel on top of the aluminum screen.
- 5th Step: Put another layer of sweet stackers in every corner of the container
- 6th Step: Add the second layer of aluminum screen.
- 7th Step: Put the pre-dried magic mushrooms over the second layer of aluminum screen
- 8th Step: Close the container and make sure there are no leaks or openings where moisture can come in.
- 9th Step: Drying it out is a very slow process. Observe once in a while if the mushrooms crack when you try to bend them. If they do, then your mushrooms are all dried up.
3. Dry and freeze the magic mushrooms
If you wish to store them for longer than 3 years, try freezing them after you have dried them out. Put them in a zip lock bag and store them in the freezer. Storing it this way would make it last indefinitely. Do note that freezing them without drying it will ruin the mushroom and you will not be able to enjoy it.
4. Storing Magic Mushrooms with Freon
Freon, a liquid substance found in refrigerators and air conditioners can also be used to preserve the magic mushrooms. Freon prevents the compound psilocybin from breaking down.
How to Store Magic Mushrooms using Freon
- 1st Step: Place your pre-dried magic mushrooms in a ziplock bag
- 2nd Step: Flatten the bag
- 3rd Step: Blast the ziplock with Freon until it is 25% inflated
- 4th Step: Squeeze the Freon out
- 5th Step: Repeat steps 3 and 4 five times
- 6th Step: Seal the ziplock bag completely
5. Store them in Chocolates
Storing your magic mushrooms in Chocolates can make it last for 6 months or until when the chocolate will expire. Depends on what comes first.
How to Store Magic Mushrooms in Chocolates
- 1st Step: Prepare your materials such as chocolates of your favorite brand, a coffee grinder, a saucepan, a stove, and a small ice tray.
- 2nd Step: Grind the magic mushrooms and the chocolates separately
- 3rd Step: Melt the chocolates in low heat
- 4th Step: Once the chocolates have melted, sprinkle the ground magic mushrooms on top
- 5th Step: Transfer the mixture in small containers and store it in the freezer
Magic mushrooms stored in chocolate can last up to 6 months or until the chocolates’ expiration date. Dark chocolate has a higher cocoa content and is more acidic thus making the effects of magic mushrooms set in faster!
Now that you know the different storage options to keep your magic mushroom fresh, try to plan your sessions or trips to ensure you keep a steady supply of it. Just keep in mind that freezing the magic mushrooms without drying it will reduce the potency of it and you might end up with a ruined magic mushroom.